[vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 11 08:58:36 PDT 2005

Bob Scofield wrote:
> Here's one final question.  As part of my missionary work I'm taking my SuSE
> CD's.  But it just dawned on me that while I have set up dual boot systems
> several times in the past, it has always been with Windows 98.  Are there any
> special difficulties in setting up a dual boot with XP?

 From my experience, the only difference is that win98 uses FAT32 while
winXP uses NTFS for filesystems.  Should you need to reduce the winXP
partition non-destructively (usually you do), you'll need partitioning
software that handles NTFS.  Also, Linux cannot (easily) write to NTFS,
so you'll want to make a separate FAT32 partition for sharing files
between windows and Linux.

Jonathan