[vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sun May 8 20:53:13 PDT 2005

On Sun 08 May 05,  8:05 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> said:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:47:14PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, May 08, 2005 at 12:58:34PM -0700, tech_dev(Alex Mandel)
> > (tech_dev at wildintellect.com) wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > > The other thing to think about although this is nit picky is to look
> > > at the case cooling situation. Dell is very bad about this. You can
> > > download a free program(for home use) called Everest to check the ram
> > > performance and CPU temp.
> >
> > Cooling won't affect performance.  It will affect component longevity.
>
> I think the idea here may be that some CPUs can slow themselves down if
> they get too hot, or something.  Maybe I'm thinking of laptops?
> Maybe I should stop pretending to know anything about modern PC
> capabilities. ;^)

It's called CPU throttling.  There are a few different approaches, but many
of them work by essentially letting the CPU run at full speed while
inserting NOPs to reduce heat generation.   Apparently, NOPs generate less
heat.  :)

CPU throttling... it's not just for laptops anymore.

Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein