[vox-tech] browser and mimetypes (I think)

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sun May 8 07:56:54 PDT 2005

There's an URL to a pdf download of an article published by Optics Letters.
I don't think anyone can access this because I'm using a Princeton
University proxy (and Princeton has a subscription to this journal), but the
URL is:

   http://ol.osa.org/ViewMedia.cfm?id=68550&seq=0

It doesn't look like a pdf.  I tried and tried to get the pdf to download
and display on Firefox on Linux.  I think perhaps it downloads OK but
Firefox doesn't know what to do with it, since it's a "cfm" file, whatever
that is, not a pdf file.

In utter frustration, I tried using Firefox on MS Windows and the pdf
displayed fine(!)

I can't boot into Windows every time I want an article from Optics Letters.
Is there a fix for this kind of thing?

If anyone's department has a subscription to this journal, the relevent info
is "Optics Letters", vol 27, no 8 (april 2002), pg 622 "Phase Measurements
of waves that obey nonlinear equations".

Thanks!
Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein