[vox-tech] Gnome "Failed to Init HAL" - Lost internet, cdrom and usb

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 3 22:14:28 PDT 2005

Alex

If at some point you upgraded any of those packages via apt-get or
synaptic, the downloaded rpm file might reside in
/var/cache/apt/archives.  Then again, maybe not because apt-get will
delete them once they get uninstalled.

Otherwise it sounds like you need to recover from a self-booting linux
cdrom.  If you put Fedora disk 1 back in, you can run an "upgrade" which
will bring you back to an original off CD install; this won't overwrite
user data.  Another option is to boot with Knoppix, download the rpms
you need to a known place on the harddrive, reboot to partially
functional Fedora, and install them.

HTH,
Jonathan