[vox-tech] external HD

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 21 10:35:58 PST 2005

Donald Greg McGahan wrote:
> Henry House wrote:
>
>> På måndag, 21 mars 2005, skrev Donald Greg McGahan:
>>

>>> Can KDE mount an external device when attached to usb kind of like
>>> Gnome does.
>>>

>> KDE can "mount" any device that the Linux kernel recognizes as
>> mountable by
>> calling the appropriate command to do so. But is not exactly accurate to
>> speak of KDE mounting filesystem (that word has a specific meaning
>> unrelated
>> to KDE). I think you refer to associating a mounted filesystem with a
>> convenient desktop icon?

> Yes, and the mount directory is created dynamically in /media rather
> than /mnt and no fstab entry is present.

Ah, you must be using Fedora 3.  Fedora 3 has someone neat deamon
running that detects when a usb mass storage device is plugged in,
creates a mount point in /media, AND automatically edits /etc/fstab.
That part is desktop independent.  You can then create a desktop device
icon in KDE that mounts and umounts the device.

Jonathan