[vox-tech] BibTex related question

Skyler Cranmer sjcranmer at ucdavis.edu
Sun Mar 20 13:31:13 PST 2005

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just started using bibtex to help with the organization of citations
>> in papers and the like... i am currently using the bibtex style
>> called "named" with the command:
>>
>> \bibliographystyle{named}
>>
>> ... as suggested on this website:
>> http://netra.wustl.edu/links/latex/latex.html
>>
>> my intent was to get citations that look like (author, year) ... the
>> "named" style was the closest that I could get, however the citations
>> end up looking like [author, year] ...
>

> Did you try "apalike"?  That's a standard one.  There are many styles
> available, but finding the right one can be difficult.  Unless it is a
> requirement, numbered references are much prefered over author-date.
>

>> any ideas on how to get the more traditional (author, year) style?
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> PS: for anyone using macos X there is a great application called
>> "Bibdesk" which can help manage your .bib file. Anyone know of a
>> similar tool for Linux?
>>

> I use pybliographer, but there are many other bib management programs
> available.
>
> Jonathan

Numbered references are only preferred over author-date in some fields;
in political science (and most social sciences), numbered references are
frowned upon. Try American Political Science Review (APSR) style for
good author-date citations with () instead of [], it is based on the
Harvard style used in natbib.