[vox-tech] linux on Mac iBook

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 18 08:17:09 PST 2005

Quoting Henry House (hajhouse at houseag.com):

[Special considerations for "New world" Macs:]

> - the bootloader; I believe this situation is greatly improved since my
>   experience

These days, there's one that goes into its own partition/slice: yaboot.

> - tuning the framebuffer for good video performance

For whatever reason, on my G3 iBook2, nothing had to be tweaked, here.

> - the mouse: it only has one button so you need to emulate the other two for
>   X apps that expect three buttons

This is something I had to hand-hack into one of the init scripts at the
time I disabled Ubuntu's gnome-session startup, installed Windows Maker,
and set that as the default window manager:  There's a utility you
invoke to assign the 2nd and 3rd mouse button functions to F11 and F12,
respectively.

The other thing is that software suspend didn't work, out of the box.
(I haven't fix this, yet.)