[vox-tech] Exporting displays

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 18 01:03:31 PST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 22:28, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:21:49 -0800, Richard Harke <rharke at earthlink.net>
wrote:
> > I have to do xhost + in order to run firefox. I found this after googling
> > because it wouldn't run at all. I am behind a NAT router but I would
> > rather not do this. On the other hand, I have been using firefox more and
> > more.
>
> Hmm... is Firefox running setuid? chroot'd?  (If so, why?)  If not..
> then then I can't think of a reason why firefox would be any different
> than any other X app.  The xhost + may just be masking a more
> fundamental problem, and it's likely making you less secure in the
> process.
I just checked -- it is not setuid
/usr/bin/firefox is a link to /usr/lob/mozilla-firefox/firefox
This was installed by apt-get from Debian testing    I just ran it again
and got an updated version but the problem remains. I did xhost - and
firefox refuses to run.
I just tried running from the command line to see the error message
and it loaded. So now it seems to load OK from the launcher so it
seems fixed but time will tell. It would occasionally work without
xhost + even before the update install.
Richard