[vox-tech] stale NFS file (was: binary equivalence of two directories)

Mitch Patenaude patenaude at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:49:28 PST 2005

Hmm... just a guess.  Is lockd running on lucifer?

File locking was added in NFS4, but for backward compatibility it was
run in a separate daemon.  I'm guessing that most programs don't
bother with file locking, but it wouldn't surprise me if diff did.  If
lockd weren't running, then it would be unable to lock the file, which
it might interpret as a stale file handle.

This is all supposition, and I may have some of the details wrong,
since I haven't mucked with NFS in years.

  -- Mitch