[vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

Bob Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Thu Mar 17 14:56:12 PST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 02:03 pm, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> In danger of starting a flame war, I am going to give my view of Debian.
> Debian is in fact based on wonderful ideas, but it has horrible
> implementation.

Seeing as how I both love and hate Debian, a flame war would be difficult for
me.  I'd be on both sides, and I'd end up attacking myself.

>   Debian's installation process is difficult and requires
> intimate knowledge of how linux works.  In order to have an up-to-date
> system, you risk instability (with the testing or unstable tree), or
> must resort to 3rd party "backports".

*I* think the install is difficult.  But you don't need an intimate knowledge
of how Linux works.  I don't know hardly anything about how Linux works, and
I got it installed with some help from this list.

With the install and some updates I'm being asked configuration questions
about things I don't understand at all.  But often the configuration programs
give hints and advice, and somehow I've ended up with a system that works
(except for the disappearing cdrom mount point problem in the 2.6.8-2-386
kernel).

I typed up detailed notes on my install, and I'm fighting the sick urge to
burn this Debian system over just to install it again to see if I can use my
notes for an easier install.  This is one reason I hate Debian.  It's making
me discover these bizarre urges I didn't know I had before.

Right now I feel totally committed to SuSE and totally committed to Debian.  I
want both.  With SuSE I'm guaranteed to have an almost flawless system that I
can always count on to work and be properly configured.  With Debian I can be
challenged to learn more, and also be part of the Debian non-commercial
ideal.  I plan to continue with both distros.

> Just my view.  Maybe I've never given it a fair chance since every
> install I've tried has failed.

You know a lot more than I do, and if I can do a Sarge net install then you
can.  In fact Janathan it was your post  about "localhost:631" that got my
printing working.

Bob