[vox-tech] Exporting displays

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Thu Mar 17 14:11:06 PST 2005

Karsten M. Self wrote:

>on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:42:41PM -0800, Mark K. Kim (lugod at cbreak.org) wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, John Wojnaroski wrote:
>>[snip]
>>

>>>I'm trying to login into a remote host and have the host export the screen
>>>display back to my machine
>>>

>>[snip]
>>

>>>"export DISPLAY=my_ip_address:0.0"  returns something like "Xlib: client is
>>>not authorized to connect to server" which seems to indicate that something
>>>is missing or lacking on the local machine.  Any suggestions where to look?
>>>

>>[snip]
>>
>>That'll work except your local computer isn't letting the connection
>>through for security reasons.  On your *local* computer, type this:
>>
>>   $xhost +

Actually, xhost +  is quick and easy and since all the machines are
trusted and on a LAN behind a firewall there should be no security
problem.  Running four machines on a distributed flight simulation and
getting tired of jumping up to get to the other machines. Idea is to run
everything from code editing, compiling, and testing from a single station.

I do appreciate all the responses and the solid advice on how to use ssh
when working with a remote machine over the Internet.

We demo'd the simulation a month ago at the SCALE3x show here in LA
    http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale3x_day1.php

As far as I can tell, this may be one of the few cockpit simulations
using Linux as the platform rather than all that MS stuff...
Additionall info on the flightgear website under the projects page
http://www.flightgear.org/Projects

Regards
John W.