[vox-tech] Spyware For Linux?

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Mar 15 11:30:52 PST 2005

On Tue 15 Mar 05, 11:13 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> said:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:46:15AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
> > It bothers me that Fedora turns sshd on by default.
> > A naive user could set a silly root password, and
> > they'll be cracked in a few hours.
>
> Does it allow root to SSH in by default?  (I've seen setups which specifically
> do /not/.)

Jonathan, I think this is overcautious.

There is no concept of absolute security.  Security all about compromise:
What inconveniences are you willing to suffer through in the name of keeping
your system secure?  That's the question we all ask, implicitly or
explicitly.

Installing a daemon to allow remote login to your computer, I feel, falls
well on the side of acceptable for most uses of a computer.

If you're installing a system that needs to be SO secure that an ssh daemon
is undesirable, your kung-fu is probably good enough that you're well aware
sshd got installed and you know how to disable it.

At that level, either your kung-fu is good enough of you hire a professional
staff to take care of your IT.

Pete