[vox-tech] Apache2 status (was: php5 and Debian/testing)

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Mar 15 10:46:16 PST 2005

On Tue 15 Mar 05,  9:55 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> said:
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org):
>
> > What's the deal with php5 and Debian?
>
> I don't have information on that; if I had to speculate, I'd guess that
> it isn't considered production quality yet, but I honestly don't know,
> having not even considered deploying PHP5, yet.
>
>   I see it in dpkg, but the package is
> > unavailable.  I found an *unofficial* php5 package for Woody, but not for
> > testing and unstable.
>
> Those would be the DotDeb.org ones.  Here are some unofficial packages
> for unstable/sid (by Piotr Roszatycki):
>
> http://people.debian.org/~dexter/dists/php5/sid/binary-i386/
>
> Announcement:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/12/msg01992.html
>
> Note that there are separate packages for Apache 1.3 and for 2.0.

Sweet!  Thanks.

I guess that leaves me with a question I didn't intend on asking.  What's
the status of Apache2 on Linux?

There was a /. expose on it awhile ago - many people were very unhappy with
Apache2, for reasons ranging from not playing well with PHP to security
concerns (IIRC, it had something to do with Apache2 assuming that some
libraries were thread-safe when the libraries in question were not thread
safe).

My initial reaction is to hold off on Apache2.  I only know as much Apache
as I need to know for a basic setup - if something unusual and bad happened,
I'd be sunk.  But the bad stuff I read was awhile ago by now.

What's the scuttlebutt on Apache2?

Pete