[vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Mon Mar 14 09:33:06 PST 2005

On Mon 14 Mar 05,  9:31 AM, Bob Scofield <rscofield at afes.com> said:

> Of course I do not expect much sympathy from Debian users for this type of
> computing.  But after Ken's answer to my question about apt upgrading to new
> versions of open source applications (eventually to Open Office 2.0, for
> example) I marvel at what Debian is up to.  It is clearly economically
> suicidal for commercial distros to have apt.  While Debian is considered
> geekware, it has tremendous potential to the non-technically inclined.
>
> Bob

Interesting thought.  While my understanding is that apt has been ported to
other distros, like Connectiva (which is now owned by someone else) my sense
is that it hasn't really caught on.  Maybe it doesn't have the blessing of
the distros to which it was ported.

You just might have the answer why.

I never really thought of it.  I always thought apt was Debian-ware simply
because Debian is cool (and I think we have to include Gentoo's system in
there too).  Perhaps the real reason is more of economics of the commercial
distros, not the coolness of the non-commercial distros.

Even if it's not true, it's still an interesting take.

Pete