[vox-tech] KDE Questions (was re: Apt-get vs. Dselect)

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Mar 11 13:33:37 PST 2005

On Fri 11 Mar 05, 11:46 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> said:

> > 1. I want a desktop icon similar to "My Computer" that has shortcuts to
> >    various filesystems like /usr/local, /home, /C, /D, etc.  How can I
> >    generate such a thing?
>
> You could, of course, create a folder called "My Computer" on the desktop,
> give it a computer-shaped icon, and then create device icons inside of it.
> (Right click -> New -> Device Icon, or some-such.)

Cool.  I got exactly what I wanted.

> > 2. How do I change the font displayed underneath icons?  The standard KDE
> >    font, aside from not being my cup of tea, is too big for my liking.
>
> That'd be in the Control Center somewhere.  I can't give a precise name,
> since I don't have it in front of me. :^/

Found it.  I think I figured out what I don't like about the desktop fonts.
There's this wierd font shading I'm not fond of.  I'll try to Google this.

> > 3. How do I get "sloppy focus"?   Sloppy focus is like Unix focus: when the
> >    cursor goes over a window, the window gains focus.
>
> Again, in Control Center, under one of the 'Behavior' options.
> *ugh*  I should just go dig around for Control Center screenshots, so
> I could tell you precisely.  It's a little crowded in there, but fortunately
> most of it is organized in a sane way.

Cool.  It's under "Desktop | Window Behavior", and it's called "focus
follows mouse".  I like "sloppy focus" better.  :-)

Thanks!
Pete