[vox-tech] Apt-get vs. Dselect

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Mar 11 10:40:28 PST 2005

On Fri 11 Mar 05, 10:27 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> said:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:11:30AM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> > All I know is that I was overwhelmed by aptitude.  I'm told to put a + or -
> > next to a package, but I'm given 14,000 plus packages to look at.  I much
> > prefer apt-get.  If I was interested in learning what packages were available
> > I'd probably bring up a browser and check out the relevant package category
> > on the debian website, and then bring up a terminal window and apt-get what I
> > wanted.  But I realize that I do things differently.
>
> Or just use a GUI apt tool, like kio-apt for KDE. ;^)
>
>   http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=8966
>
> You can just type, e.g., "apt:/search?python" to search for all packages
> with python in the name, or just type "apt:/" to get a little form interface.
> (See the screenshots at the URL above.)
>
> -bill!

As long as you bring up KDE, I have a couple of questions.  I've been using
KDE for a day now, and I can't figure out a few things:

1. I want a desktop icon similar to "My Computer" that has shortcuts to
   various filesystems like /usr/local, /home, /C, /D, etc.  How can I
   generate such a thing?

2. How do I change the font displayed underneath icons?  The standard KDE
   font, aside from not being my cup of tea, is too big for my liking.

3. How do I get "sloppy focus"?   Sloppy focus is like Unix focus: when the
   cursor goes over a window, the window gains focus.

   However, in Unix focus, when the cursor leaves the window (without
   hovering over another window), the window loses focus.  In sloppy focus,
   when the cursor leaves the window (without hovering over a new window)
   the window *remains* focused.

   This allows me to keep a window's focus *and* click on the desktop.

4. I hate to ask this, maybe embarrased is a better word, but is it possible
   to use MS Windows 95 icons in KDE?  The default KDE icons are too fancy.
   I want something less ornate.  Less busy.  I really loved the icons (and
   widgets) that came with MS Windows 95.  Is it possible to use those icons
   in KDE?

5. Is it possible to configure artsd to become a client of esd (the
   Enlightenment Sound Daemon) rather than trying to grab /dev/dsp directly?
   Better yet, is it possible to tell KDE applications to use esd instead
   of artsd?

Thanks!
Pete