[vox-tech] Apt-get vs. Dselect

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Mar 11 10:29:41 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:13:10PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> No, no, no.  You didn't read my email.

Well, really the comparison was aptitude to deselect, not aptitude to apt-get.

aptitude really does the work of both -- it can provide a TUI interface
(which Mark was complaining about), and it can also act as a command-line
installer/remover/searcher, as you show below:

> Do this:
>
>    aptitude install gworldclock
<snip>

The dselect TUI was offensive to me. :^P  aptitude seemed a bit better,
but I still only ever use aptitude as an apt-get clone... or just stick
with apt-get, due to habit.