[vox-tech] (Moved from [vox]) Errors in software compilation

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Mar 9 15:28:48 PST 2005

Hi Dylan.  This kind of question actually belongs over here on vox-tech,
so I've replied here, instead of plain 'vox'...

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:30:13PM -0800, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using a software package called GDAL here at work, and it compiles fine
> on my Debian Sarge box... However, the *same* source tree fails to compile on
> a similar machine running Slackware...
<snip>

On your Sarge box, do you have "cpl_port.h" and/or "cpl_error.h" anywhere
else, besides the 'gdal' build directory?

<snip>
> g++     -c -o gdalopen.o gdalopen.cpp
> In file included from gdal_priv.h:190,
>                  from gdalopen.cpp:94:
> gdal.h:177:22: cpl_port.h: No such file or directory
> gdal.h:178:23: cpl_error.h: No such file or directory
<snip>

> however:
> dylan at atmweb:~/src/gdal-1.2.5$ locate cpl_port
> /home/dylan/src/gdal-1.2.5/port/cpl_port.h
<snip>

The command invoked above was simply "g++ -c -o ...".
There were no -I include path directives given.
Is this different than on your Sarge box?

Also, can you tell (by examining the entire "make" sequence up to this
point) whether Make had dove into the "port/" subdirectory?  If it was
compiling something in the directory above (or some other subdirectory),
then it almost certainly wouldn't be able to find the "cpl_port.h" header.

Sorry I can't help more!

bill at newbreedsoftware.com         "I'm anticipating an all-out tactical
http://newbreedsoftware.com/      dog-fight, followed by a light dinner."