[vox-tech] Cygwin's Identity Crisis

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Mar 8 09:13:43 PST 2005

On Tue 08 Mar 05,  9:08 AM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford at mossroot.com> said:

> And behold, Peter Jay Salzman flailed at a keyboard and did expound:
>
> >    export TERM=linux
>
> That didn't work,

Wierd!  I was really expecting it to.  I am HIGHLY interested in the exact
wording vi gave you when you tried to run vi with TERM set to linux.  I
guess that means Cygwin's terminfo doesn't support the "linux" terminal.
Considering what Cygwin is, perhaps that does make sense.  Dunno.

> but:
>
>      export TERM=xterm
>
> worked just fine.

Yeah, sorry bout that.  I was going to suggest that too.  Then I got side
tracked by writing about csh and forgot to mention it.  I'm still kind of
shocked that vi didn't recognize the linux terminal.

Pete