[vox-tech] When RAM goes bad...

Jeff DeFay jfdefay at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 7 12:22:00 PST 2005

Another item to check might be the number of chips on the sticks; I recall seeing some specifications about maximum loading for some chipsets that indicated that if a stick had more than a single array of chips, that use of a second stick of similar construction for the same bank would exceed the drive capabilities of the chipset.  I.e., the chipset could only drive 3 chips per line.

Peter Jay Salzman <p at dirac.org> wrote:On Sun 06 Mar 05, 8:59 PM, Paul
said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >What a horror story! If it IS the mother board, maybe I'll get myself that
> >dual Opteron I've been thinking about for the past year or so.
> >
> (useless but possibly entertaining attempt at humor)
> I can tell from here the mother board is bad and you'll need the dual
> Opteron. Come to think of it, the video board and the monitor are
> looking a little weak too:-)

Heh. I actually LOL'd. Thanks! :)

Status Report:

Memtest output seemed to indicate the slot 0 RAM. I first removed the slot
1 RAM first since it's easier (doesn't need to be replaced, whereas there
always needs to be something in slot 0).

Memtest segfaulted again.

Removed slot 0 RAM and replaced it with what used to be slot 1 RAM.

So far, so good. No segfaults. I have a feeling this baby's going to go
all night, so I'll just leave it running. My worst nightmare was a DIMM
slot. Thanks heavens it looks like a failed DIMM...

Pete (who keeps looking over his should to make sure memtest hasn't
segfaulted on the monitor across the room).