[vox-tech] Open Office Question

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Mon Mar 7 11:04:29 PST 2005

One of the nice things about open source is that different people can produce
different versions of a product.  SuSE, Debian, and at least one other
distro, have their own version of Open Office.  And the SuSE and Debian
versions look nicer with colored icons, etc.

But Debian Open Office has a very nice practical feature that is also found in
Word Perfect.  When you open or save a file in Debian Open Office you are
taken to the last directory that you were working in.

In Star/Open Office you have the notion of a Work Folder.  In most Open Office
versions your default Work Folder is "My Documents."  This default can be
changed.  But the problem is that the opening and saving of documents will
always take you to this single default folder.  This can be very irritating.
If I'm using Open Office in Linux to work on business spreadsheets on my
Windows partition, I will have to do a lot of clicking to open and save
documents.  But with Debian Open Office there's no hassle, as I will
automatically be taken to the directory that I have been working in.  In
Debian (if I have been working in my Windows partition) I can open a
spreadsheet without having to go through /mnt  all the time.

I have consulted an old Star Office book, and the help in both SuSE and Debian
Open Office for a way to configure non-Debian Open Office versions to open
and save the way Debian does it.  I can't find a way.  Does anybody here know
how to configure non-Open Office versions to open and save like Debian Open
Office?

Thank you.

Bob