[vox-tech] DE flame war.

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 6 20:02:47 PST 2005

on Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:12:24AM -0800, Rod Roark (rod at sunsetsystems.com) wrote:
> On Sunday 06 March 2005 09:31 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > I definitely don't want to run a display manager, and I'd like to keep
> > Enlightenment as a wm.  I assume KDE can handle that....
>
> You can run KDE and Gnome apps under other desktop
> environments.  Of course they will link to big chunks of the
> respective libraries, so you may not gain much in terms of
> reducing bloatware.
>
> However the KDE and Gnome desktops include their own window
> managers -- I've never heard of running the KDE desktop per
> se under Enlightenment.

I'm not entirely up on who supports what, but, for example, WMaker can
be used as the WM for both GNOME and KDE.  Or could at points in past.
With full support of the various DE symantics.

Mind:  if you'll tolerate a certain level of missing features, you can
pretty much run _any_ WM within a given DE.

Peace.

    Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
    - Princess Bride