[vox-tech] Demonstrations of Linux flexibility?

Troy Arnold troy-vox at zenux.net
Sat Mar 5 13:26:42 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:07:09PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm looking for examples illustrating the flexibility possible with
> GNU/Linux.

How about the ability to tailor your working environment to the
abilities (limits) of your hardware?

There's an interesting 60-ish guy who occasionally rolls up on his
bicycle to NBLUG installfests carrying an *ancient* classic 100mhz
Pentium notebook with 40 MB ram.  I'm not sure if he's still homeless
but he has been so recently.  Utilizing icewm and appropriate
lightweight apps (Dillo,abiword,pine) he's got himself a perfectly
usuable and secure system.

As an aside, I think it's interesting how he came to be a Linux user so
I'll include an excerpt of an article I wrote after our last installfest:

He bought a $40 copy of Debian because the box talked about that fact that
not only does Debian offer free lifetime updates over the Internet, but
that it is developed openly through the cooperative effort of hundreds
of volunteer individuals. In short, not a hacker looking for something
to play with, but merely a man wanting to use his computer as a useful
and reliable tool and to do it in a socially conscious manner.

-troy