[vox-tech] Demonstrations of Linux flexibility?

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Mar 4 16:10:17 PST 2005

On Fri 04 Mar 05,  3:07 PM, Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com> said:
> I'm looking for examples illustrating the flexibility possible with
> GNU/Linux.

Not sure what you exactly mean by flexibility, but this fits my definition.

My mom's imac had a hard drive failure.  Tried as I might, the drive would
not mount on Apple hardware.  I tried every conceivable trick one can scour
from Google.  The drive was toast as far as MacOS was concerned.

Nevertheless, I gave it a try under Linux (not possible under other OS's to
my knowledge).

The drive mounted cleanly on my x86 system running Linux.  Turns out there
was low level format damage, but it wasn't anywhere near user data.  I got
100% of her data back.

Linux was able to mount and rescue an HFS+ partition even when MacOS
couldn't (this was pre MacOSX).

Pete