[vox-tech] NFS locking problem after upgrade

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Fri Mar 4 13:50:50 PST 2005

   Dear List,

   I have exported /var/cache/apt and /var/lib/apt/lists with NFS to allow
several PCs on my home network to share the same deb package lists and
archives. This system was working fine until about a month ago, perhaps
due to a routine update/upgrade. Since then, when I try apt-get or
aptitude update on either of two of the clients (spongebob and pinky),
they hang at "Reading Package Lists... 0%" and require a reboot to break
the spell. /var/log/messages on the clients complain that the server is
not responding. Two other clients - a workstation (calvin) and a router
(brain) - both work properly, as does the server (cruncher). All five
machines use differently customized 2.6.8 Debian-patched kernels, each
configured to the machine's hardware and function. All five machines run
Debian testing. The two clients that fail are desktop PCs, while the two
that work are Thinkpad 701C 486s.
   The mount command (e.g., mount -t nfs -o rw,tcp,intr
cruncher:/var/cache/apt /mnt/apt) returns instantly without error from all
clients, and the mounted directories can be entered, viewed and written to
without a problem. Perhaps the problem is with file locking. rpcinfo -p
lists portmapper, nlockmgr, nfs, status and mountd on cruncher or
spongebob (spongebob is also an nfs server), and portmapper, status and
nlockmgr on brain, calvin or pinky.
   The only other new symptom is that ssh-ing from one workstation to
another sometimes gives an "unknown host" error, which goes away if I ping
the remote workstation from the router (brain).
   Since I suspected an upgrade may have led to this problem, I tried
looking for old versions of mount, nfs-common and liblockfile1 in
/var/cache/apt/archives. Only nfs-common had an old verison, and
reinstalling that on pinky had no effect.
   Any and all suggestions what to try next would be appreciated.

   Yours,

     Chris