[vox-tech] Changing Debian Screen Resolution

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Thu Mar 3 23:38:44 PST 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 22:53, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> I'm wondering if something is overriding XF86Config-4.  Could GDM be doing
> something?   Here's another thought.  You might remember several weeks ago
> when I was trying to set up X.  I was trying to follow the directions for
> an outdated version of X.  I'm wondering if I may have set up another
> configuration file like you used to do before Linux started using
> XFConfig-4.

Okay, I seem to have it running.  I checked my notes and discovered that my
attempt to create an outdated config file was done on an earlier Sarge
install attempt.  There were no outdated config files on my present Debian
system.

GNOME was the problem.  Under "Desktop Preferences" there was a selection for
screen resolution.  That screen resolution was set for 800x600.  I still get
that funny band when I boot, but it's blue instead of black now.
Nevertheless, I've got 1024x678 resolution.  Thanks for the help.

Bob