[vox-tech] Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 2 14:28:06 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:06:35 -0800
Steve Hargadon <steve.hargadon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assumed that if root was able to write, that the problem was on the
> Linux side.  Or, should I say, the problem was me not knowing enough
> about Linux.  Could the Windows permissions be set in such a way that
> only the root would be able to write?
>
> Steve

I think it's quite possible that aharrington has the ability to write
because Windows is configured to allow him to write, but not to allow
the group "Students" to write (or at least not to recognize the same
"Students" group that Linux does). Root would have the ability to write
by virtue of the fact that somebody has permission to write.

--Ken Bloom