[vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 29 08:35:21 PDT 2005

Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Tape.

I've never really used tape drives, but my one experience was not good.
  Someone else backed up data to a tape on a mid 90s unix machine, I
think.  I needed the data about a year ago.  We were unable to access
the data because we were clueless about how the tape was formatted, what
software utility wrote to the tape, etc.  The computer that wrote to the
tape was long gone.

 From this experience, it seemed that there is no standard when it comes
to tape formatting, reading, and writing.  Has this changed?  If not,
they don't seem that useful to me.

Jonathan