[vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 27 11:32:27 PDT 2005

Quoting Jay Strauss (me at heyjay.com):

> >>Will moving the contents of lib somewhere else, like /usr/mylib and soft
> >>linking /lib->/usr/mylib work as a workaround?  Will my machine be able
> >>to boot correctly?
> >
> >I see no reason why not -- but personally I'd find some other
> >(long-term) solution.
>
> Well I can tell you, it sure doesn't work on a live system.  I moved
> /lib and afterward had no unix commands at my disposal.  Had to boot
> with knoppix and repair my error

Er, I'd assumed that, if at all, you'd have done something
all-in-one-step so that the shell lands on a sane system, like this:

# cd /
# mv /lib /usr/cruciallibs && ln -s /usr/cruciallibs /lib

...and I'd still have kept that maintenance disk handy.  ;->

> Sounds like that's what I'll have to do, and hope I don't crush my
> system in the process.  I realize when I created the system, I didn't
> allocate enough space for /, thinking that most of the stuff sat in
> /var, /usr/, /home  obviously I'll need more

For whatever it's worth, the server I'm mailing this from has these
(non-swap) partitions:

[rick at linuxmafia]
~ $ df -H
Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5              938M    70M   818M   8% /
tmpfs                  132M      0   132M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1               94M   6.1M    83M   7% /boot
/dev/sdb1              938M   761M   127M  86% /home
/dev/sdb5              282M    44k   266M   1% /tmp
/dev/sdb8              3.0G   643M   2.2G  23% /usr
/dev/sda9              5.0G   987M   3.7G  22% /usr/local
/dev/sdb7              1.9G   1.1G   700M  61% /var
/dev/sda8              938M   102M   786M  12% /var/log
[rick at linuxmafia]
~ $

Notice that / is pretty darned small, because all the significant
non-system-crucial trees are on other filesystems.

(For most purposes, dividing the system so finely would be a bit
over-maniacal:  Some of those are separate in order to use different
filesystem types or mount options, or for other special aims.)