[vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

Dmitriy ace22b at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 20 14:36:57 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 13:16, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On behalf of Dylan Beaudette <debeaudette at ucdavis.edu>...

> The suggestions for an external hard disk and enclosure were quite helpful.
>
> Now I am searching for a good method of backing up a couple hundred
> Gigabytes of data on a media that is relatively safe.

You probably want to have several harddrives on some sort of rotation.
Alternatively, a raid-1 enclosure, but I don't recall seeing any mobile
versions of those on the market. They are relatively reliable, especially
when not spinning all the time, and odds of both going out at the same time
are somewhat small (but not negligible I guess).  DVD+R is really not a very
good solution here, because for couple of gigs, max you can get is 8gig per
disc, with outrageous cost per disk (several dollars). DVD media will degrade
fast than HDDs, and burning is not 100% reliable (works 99% of the time with
good media/burner, but there is always that %1 you need to account for, and
most people are not interested in fabs that made a particular disc to find
out if its high quality or not).

Better solution would be a tape drive, but those things are major megabucks.

[snip]

--
Dmitriy