[vox-tech] Question: FTP-like GUI programs using SSH?

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 15 10:32:22 PDT 2005

Henry House wrote:
> På 2005-06-15, skrev Charles McLaughlin:
>
>>Filezilla is another one for windows:
>>
>>http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
>

> I looked at this and its documentation suggests that SFTP is some extension
> of FTP that adds extra security. What I have read elsewhere has indicatd
> that SFTP is a wrapper around SCP/SSH. Does anyone know the answer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/protocols#protocol_comparison

It appears that SCP predates SFTP, and SFTP was designed to be more
cross-platform and to standardize some aspects of the protocol that SCP
did not standardize. (for example, SCP requires a unix-like shell on the
server side where SFTP does not)

--Ken Bloom