[vox-tech] OT hardware router suggestions

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Thu Jun 2 21:13:41 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> I am looking to replace my computer-based router with a smaller and more
> energy efficient hardware router. In the past I have tried a couple Linksys
> routers, but they consistently broke ssh connections between home and remote
> machine (on DSL). Since then,  the only way to keep an ssh session for longer
> than 10 minutes was to use a software router (i.e. an old computer).

Check the time-out configuration on the firewall script. If you have a
tendancy to idle while in SSH, the time-out value will kill the connection
after you've idled for a while. Used to annoy the heck out of me back when
I was working several years ago and the old Cisco kept doing that on my
main FTP session every time I had a long-lasting download.

As for brands, I'm quite happy with my Zywall, but it's a fully wired
network, not wireless. I believe either NetGear or LinkSys were rebranding
Zywalls with a dumbed down firmware several years ago when I purchased the
router.