[vox-tech] OT external disk for backup

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Thu Jun 2 13:07:39 PDT 2005

One more today...

I am looking into getting an external hard disk for backing up my
system (simple stuff with rsync).

 From what I have heard it is possible to get a better (i.e. higher
quality) setup by purchasing the drive and enclosure separately. I have
found a couple nice firewire/USB2 enclosures, and was wondering if
anyone has any suggestions on 3.5 inch hard disks. I am mainly
interested in warranty, so anything over 3 years would be ideal, but of
course that may not be possible anymore. Also, I would rather have a
more reliable drive than more storage space- so would it make sense to
purchase a smaller drive thinking that a lower data density will lead
to better reliability?

any suggestions would be helpful!

--
Dylan Beaudette