[vox-tech] sshd_config and PasswordAuthentication

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Fri Jul 22 08:01:32 PDT 2005

> No.
>
> The authentication is handled by SSH using the public/private keypair.
> The system password itself isn't involved in the authentication at all.
>
> It's possible to have users whose remote passwords are unknown or
> disabled by this method.  This is the case for a number of remote hosts
> I access regularly.
>

> Peace.

Karsten, I apologize, I didn't realize I hadn't responded.  Thanks for
all the info.

I think you are talking about passwordless authentication, ie
public/private keypair, where once it's setup, all I have to do is logon
to boxA then can ssh to boxB without typing a password.  I've done this
on a number of my boxes (currently and in the past).

I didn't realize that PasswordAuthentication was related to the above.
I thought you were telling me that when this is set to "no" then I still
type my password, then some magic happens, and I login to the remote box
but I never send my password down the line.

thanks
Jay