[vox-tech] WiFi

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 21 12:57:53 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:00:03PM -0700, vox-tech-request at lists.lugod.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:45:59 -0700
> From: William Andrew <wandrew at spatulagraphics.com>
> Subject: [vox-tech] WiFi Part II

> The WiFi problem part II

> So I have tried lots of places and messed with lots of settings to no avail.
> That brings up Jonathan's comment : "you may need to get a different card."

> Now if I were to look for the Ideal WiFi card for a ThinkPad T22 running
> FedoraCore what would I go looking for? What is the best Linux interface?

I have a short tutorial on WiFi configuration for Fedora Core in my
Linux installation tutorial, Section 4.4, at

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/linux.html

It includes some commands you can use to help diagnose the problem.

One thing I would suggest is that initially you try things out at a hot
spot that does NOT require authentication, just to eliminate one source
of problems when you are troubleshooting.  Free hotspots are listed on
the Web, e.g. http://www.wififreespot.com/ca.html for California.  The
listings don't say whether you need authentication or not, but you can
call them and find out.

Better yet, some public libraries offer free wireless access.  For
example, the Fairfield Civic Center Library does; see
http://www.solanolibrary.com/solano.cfm?page=pressroom/release022604
The Web says that it's coming to the downtown Vacaville Public Library
too.

Norm