[vox-tech] cpan and botched installation of Image::Timeline

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Thu Jul 21 10:01:15 PDT 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 9:31 AM, David Hummel wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:07:51AM -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>>
>> Being my first time using CPAN to install a new perl module, I thought
>> that it would be a piece of cake...
>
> I would suggest using CPANPLUS instead.

I will check this out...

>> I attempted to install the module Image::Timeline like this:
>>
>> $ cpan
>>
>> cpan> install Image::Timeline
>>
>> ... it downloaded and installed GD first, and then started compiling
>> the Image::Timeline module
>> ...however one of the tests failed, and would not install. I forced
>> the
>> install to see if it would work anyways, but alas a simple script that
>> calls this module always fails.
>>
>> here is the low down on the module:
>> http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Image-Timeline-0.11/Timeline.pm
>>
>> Right now I am stuck as to what I need to do in order to
>> 1. remove this module from my local machine
>
> If the module installed a packlist, it should be somewhere like:

[snip]

found it, and removed all of the files!

So, I was able to attempt the re-install of Image::Timeline, and here
is the output:

****************************
cpan> install Image::Timeline
Running install for module Image::Timeline
Running make for K/KW/KWILLIAMS/Image-Timeline-0.11.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:

ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/K/KW/KWILLIAMS/Image-Timeline
-0.11.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
   ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/K/KW/KWILLIAMS/CHECKSUMS
Checksum for
/root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/K/KW/KWILLIAMS/Image-Timeline
-0.11.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
Image-Timeline-0.11/
Image-Timeline-0.11/Build.PL
Image-Timeline-0.11/Changes
Image-Timeline-0.11/Makefile.PL
Image-Timeline-0.11/MANIFEST
Image-Timeline-0.11/META.yml
Image-Timeline-0.11/README
Image-Timeline-0.11/SIGNATURE
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/common.pl
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/date_format.t
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/gif.t
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/png.t
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/testdata.txt
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/truth.gif
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/truth.png
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/truth_format.gif
Image-Timeline-0.11/t/truth_format.png
Image-Timeline-0.11/Timeline.pm

   CPAN.pm: Going to build K/KW/KWILLIAMS/Image-Timeline-0.11.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Image::Timeline
cp Timeline.pm blib/lib/Image/Timeline.pm
Manifying blib/man3/Image::Timeline.3pm
   /usr/bin/make  -- OK
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/date_format....ok 1/5# Failed test 5 in t/date_format.t at line 37
#  t/date_format.t line 37 is: ok &write_and_compare($t,
't/testimage_format', 't/truth_format', $format);
t/date_format....FAILED test 5
         Failed 1/5 tests, 80.00% okay
t/gif............ok
t/png............ok
Failed Test     Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
-------
t/date_format.t                5    1  20.00%  5
Failed 1/3 test scripts, 66.67% okay. 1/17 subtests failed, 94.12% okay.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
   /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
Running make install
   make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

.... so it looks like something is missing, or messed up in the final
test of date_format...

I noticed that there was a reference to "ExtUtils::Command::MM", so i
installed that without issue... however the install of Image::Timeline
still does not pass its tests...

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis