[vox-tech] Statistical software

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 15 00:21:40 PDT 2005

on Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:18:25AM -0700, Henry House (hajhouse at houseag.com) wrote:
> A visitor to the demo at the Davis Food Co-op this weekend asked about
> software for statistical analysis and mentioned SPSS. Since I do most of my
> statistical analysis in Gnumeric and do not use a dedicated analysis
> program, I was not able to mention a comparable application for Linux. What
> do you use? I later found out about Gnu PSPP, supposed to be a Free clone of
> SPSS --- does anyone use this?

My understanding (dated) is that PSPP development is spotty, and has
been for years.  Hrm...  Could be wrong about that.

The usual stats package is of course R, as mentioned here.  It's
extremely hard-core, and is being used increasingly in industry.  It's
been used heavily in academic circles for years.

There are also extensive stats libraries in other languages, including
Perl, Python, and Ruby, often as calls to R, if the goal is embedding
stats capabilities elsewhere.

Peace.

    You...display numerous pro-Microsoft bumper stickers ("Honk if you
    hate anti-trust laws") on your car.
    - http://mail.nl.linux.org/humorix/1999-11/msg00008.html