[vox-tech] Scanners

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 10:54:54 PDT 2005

This project kind of got re-directed. My wife wants to get a
multi-function unit with scanner, printer and fax. So now we
are looking for such that is also linux usable. She did find
a neat bit of info -- HP is helping a sourceforge project
to produce drivers for their products. But is appears that
right now there is just one model that is fully supported.
(Well, almost; they won't do fax on an open system)
Anyway the model is Officejet 9100. It seems to be "hot"
right now so we're going to wait and hope prices come down.
This was apparently introduced first in the German market
and I'm guessing they wanted to sell some to the city
of Munich.

I never did get the Epson driver to fully compile, although it
looked like all the backends were done. All the fixes I made
involved finding includes. I got frustrated when I realized that
things were not in the right place even for files not a part
of the Epson code. Specifically, these are gtk includes.
For example gtk.h includes glib.h (#include <glib.h>)
but Debian installed it in /include/glib-1.2/glib.h
One of these I could deal with but there seemed to be
an ongoing stream of them. On top of which there seemed
to be no real reason that a frontend should be included
with this code.

Richard