[vox-tech] opengl: lines and points

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 30 13:13:45 PST 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 11:41, Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:59:46 -0500
>
> > > The GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE on my nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX
> > > 440 AGP 8x] is 0.000000 to 63.375000. This is probably
> > > system-dependant.
Did you mean 1.000000 to 63.375000? If so that is exactly what I get. This
should not be surprising as I also have an Nvidia card. FX5300
which is the PCI-Express version of FX5200. The drivers may also make a
difference. I'm running the Nvidia binary drivers in order to get 3D
acceleration but it is also possible to use the nv drivers from XFree86
but then you don't get accelerated 3D. The difference is significant.
A few years back, I did a program to generate a carpet plot from
my data. The point was I could rotate the image and zoom in and
out. But without 3D acceleration it was painfully slow. And of course
this is much less demanding than, for example, flightgear.
By the way, I did feel that being able to rotate my data plots in 3D,
allowed to get a much better handle on what was happening.

Richard