[vox-tech] Sarge Printing Problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 28 17:59:06 PST 2005

Quoting Robert G. Scofield (rscofield at afes.com):

> I really can't believe that a fix to a Debian problem can be so easy.  (And
> I'm not sure exactly what the fix actually was.)  So thanks Jonathan and
> David.

Well, I try to accumulate in http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/ fixes that
can be easy for the _next_ guy, even if not for the first one.

I note in this case:
"Printing Setup" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/
Covers pretty much everything about setup of either CUPS or lpr.

> If I don't get my sound working, I'll be back in touch next week and you can
> fix that for me too. :-)

I don't have a general solution for sound, by contrast, because I've
adopted a posture of strategic cowardice in that area:  I mostly stick
to my antique sound cards (SB AWE32 and such) that are so bog-standard
that everything can find them.

To my knowledge, current sound-setup problems owe much to the fact that
everyone's moving rapidly away from the old kernel-bundled oss-free
driver set towards ALSA ones, and ALSA's configuration tools continue to
be simply awful.  Back when we all used oss-free, the simple fix was to
use the sndconfig package (RH-written, kindly placed under GPL by them,
and then packaged up for Debian and other distros).  With ALSA, I don't
personally know of anything analogous.

(If anyone knows of such, I'll be grateful to hear of it.)

--
Cheers,                                      Hardware:  The part you kick.
Rick Moen                                    Software:  The part you boot.
rick at linuxmafia.com