[vox-tech] tight-vnc, can't ping box from windows

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Jan 27 05:18:42 PST 2005

On Thu 27 Jan 05,  8:10 AM, Peter Jay Salzman <p at dirac.org> said:

> Now given that, what you want to do is use XP to ping Linux.  Because you're
> interested in whether Linux is seeing those packets or not, you're going to
> run tcpdump on Linux.  It's going to look something like:

I forgot to finish the thought.  It's going to look like:

   tcpdump -i eth0 icmp

BTW, a question to the list.  The man page claims the expression to listen
to icmp pings should be:

   tcpdump ip proto icmp

But that gave a parse error.  By trial and error, I found this works:

   tcpdump icmp

Am I reading the man page wrongly or is the man page wrong?

Pete