[vox-tech] tight-vnc, can't ping box from windows

tech_dev tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 26 18:31:53 PST 2005

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 25 Jan 05, 11:46 PM, tech_dev <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> said:
>
>>Trying linux again now that I think I have time to get away from my
>>windows server.
>>
>>1. I need vnc access from windows XP.
>>Can't seem to get a connection with the tightvnc client.
>>I get the feeling the culprit lies elsewhere though since I can't ping
>>the linux box either. The hostname resolves and samba is up and running
>>fine but no ping or vnc.
>>
>>It's a Mandrake 10 box, and no the firewall is not blocking since I
>>didn't install it yet.
>

> You say the hostname resolved as if you're running name serving or the
> systems are located on different networks.  What exactly is the topolgy
> here?  Where are these systems in relation to each other?  That would help
> focus the solution.
It's a local switched lan (netgear router), dhcp.
by hostname I meant I could ping based on the windows computer name and
it would find the right ip address.

> First, the basics.
>
> 0. Can XP ping yahoo.com?
yes
> 1. Can GNU/Linux ping yahoo.com?
yes

All the computers are on the internet fine and all are visible in the
network neighborhood/samba.

> Then, the basics.
>
> 2. Can XP ping the GNU/Linux IP address?
no
"Pinging coyote [192.168.1.106] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.106:
     Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),"

> 3. Can GNU/Linux ping the XP IP address?
yes