[vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Wed Jan 26 15:27:52 PST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Richard Burkhart wrote:

> - Is there a way through dpkg to clear out my damaged 2.4.29 kernel (w) any
> of its other wreckage (modules, etc).

   I've been doing kernel compiles the Debian way for a while. The dpkg
--purge command works fine if you get the package name right. However, it
gripes if you try to remove the active kernel. My preference is to compile
and install an amended kernel, dpkg --purge the old kernel, make sure the
old kernel in lilo points to the original working kernel, and run lilo. I
usually keep the old kernel deb packages and corresponding .config files
for reference, and incorporate the date and relevant machine name into the
file name. It has worked pretty smoothly. Good luck!

   Chris