[vox-tech] tight-vnc, can't ping box from windows

tech_dev tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 25 23:46:03 PST 2005

Trying linux again now that I think I have time to get away from my
windows server.

1. I need vnc access from windows XP.
Can't seem to get a connection with the tightvnc client.
I get the feeling the culprit lies elsewhere though since I can't ping
the linux box either. The hostname resolves and samba is up and running
fine but no ping or vnc.

It's a Mandrake 10 box, and no the firewall is not blocking since I
didn't install it yet.

2.Can someone tell me where to look for a config file that will allow
users to shutdown the system. In the KDE control center I can find a
setting that I apply in admin mode but the change only seems to hold for
one reboot.  I looked in etc/shutdown.allow but that was an empty file.

Thanks,
Alex