[vox-tech] Sparc-based distro?

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Thu Jan 20 10:05:13 PST 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 00:07, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2005 22:48, Josh Parsons flailed at a keyboard and
>

> Meanwhile, I see you're at the Philosophy department.  Spiffy.  I got my BA
> in philosophy from UCD in 1992.  Is Dr. Mattey still around?

Not only is Dr. Mattey still around, but Dr. Mattey is running Linux.  And not
only is Dr. Matttey running Linux for himself, he installed it on a student
machine when I was there.

Linux saved me when I wrote my dissertation.  My dissertation was typed in
Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS.  I was at U.C.D. for so long  that I had to deal
with both U.C.D. and the Philosophy Dept. phasing out support for 5.1.  So I
couldn't print on campus anymore.  So I tried Word Perfect 8 for Windows.
But Word Perfect didn't have the same pages numbers on the screen as it did
for the hard copies it printed out.   So it was very difficult to correct
typos in a long document.  For example if you wanted to correct something on
p. 98 of the printed copy, it was very difficult to find it on the screen.
Word Perfect 8 for Linux, on the other hand, retained WYSIWYG for 5.1 for
DOS.  I don't know how I could have finished a 300 page dissertation without
Linux.

Bob