[vox-tech] Perl programming problem

Ken Herron kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Thu Jan 13 15:06:32 PST 2005

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> my $fromAddress='rcrawford at unexmail.ucdavis.edu';
> my $toAddress='rcrawford at unexmail.ucdavis.edu';
> my $body="Neo is down as of $timeString\n";
> my $mailer=open ({From => $fromAddress, To => toAddress, Subject=>$subject});
> print $mailer $body;
> $mailer->close();

My guess is that you're not setting the envelope sender address, which
is used during the SMTP exchange. The From parameter may only be setting
the header sender address, which appears in the "From" header.

Reconfiguring your system's SMTP software shouldn't be necessary, unless
the system in question is the official mail handler for
unexmail.ucdavis.edu. I don't know what mail-sending module you're
using, but see if it offers a way to set an additional sender address.