[vox-tech] Perl programming problem

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Jan 13 12:58:14 PST 2005

I'm trying to write a script which will live on my server at home and
which will ping our server at work every five minutes or so, and send an
e-mail message when it goes down or comes back up.

I've got everything working fine, except for the e-mail part.  Whenever it
sends an e-mail out to my work account, it bounces back with the following
message:

The original message was received at Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:55:18 -0800
from hagrid [127.0.0.1]

<rcrawford at unexmail.ucdavis.edu>
    (reason: 553 5.1.8 <richard at localhost.localdomain>... Domain of sender
address richard at localhost.localdomain does not exist)

... while talking to smtp.ucdavis.edu.:
>>> MAIL From:<richard at localhost.localdomain> SIZE=416
<<< 553 5.1.8 <richard at localhost.localdomain>... Domain of sender address
richard at localhost.localdomain does not exist
501 5.6.0 Data format error

I'm guessing that this is probably a sendmail configuration issue, but
I've messed around with that a bit and haven't had any success (I'm
worried about messing with it too much since).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)