[vox-tech] Plextor PX-712A not working...

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Thu Jan 13 12:26:56 PST 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 12:06 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 05, 11:40 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel at sbcglobal.net> said:
> > Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> > >That's hinky!
> > >
> > >Time to start shooting with buckshot.  Maybe we'll hit something.
> > >
> > >Can you tell me a little bit about your kernel?
> > >Is it a distro supplied kernel?
> > >Did you compile it yourself?
> > >Do you have more than one kernel on this machine?
> > >Where did THEY come from?
> > >What mobo do you have?
> > >Can you boot Knoppix and use your CD drive?
> > >Can you boot Knoppix and try the test with mount/hdparm?
> > >If Knoppix works, grab a copy of `lsmod`.
> > >Can you cut and paste what "mount" responds with so I can see verbatim?
> > >Please post /etc/fstab.
> > >
> > >Pete
> >
> > If I may interject, it seems to me like he did not build, or does not
> > load, the correct kernel part for his ide driver.  For most of us on
> > inexpensive, IDE hardware only, we wouldn't even be able to boot (been
> > there, done that). He can still boot, though, because his harddrive is
> > SCSI.  I could be wrong, though.
> >
> > Jonathan
>
> Yeah, I thought of that, but what bothers me is whether you use SCSI or
> IDE, the mount command should STILL tell you what partitions are mounted.
> Even a user of all-SCSI systems should still be able to see mounted
> partitions using "mount".  But it's certainly worth asking.
>
> Dylan, are all your hard drives SCSI?

No. In fact nothing on this system is SCSI....

The Debian/Sarge 2.6 kernel thinks that my SATA hard disk is SCSI -- or rather
it addresses it as a SCSI drive. I noticed this after a recent upgrade from
2.4 series to 2.6 series kernels....

However, the 2.6 series kernel does not seem to address my standard IDE
Plextor DVD/CD drive as a SCSI device...

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis