[vox-tech] XF86Config Question

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 12 09:52:28 PST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:43:58 -0800
"Robert G. Scofield" <rscofield at afes.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 03:26, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >

> > Also, don't forget about "XFree86 -configure".  This will get you in
> > the right ballpark.  After writing a reasonable XF86Config-4 file,
> > you can fine tune your way to the front row seats.
>
> First, thanks to you and Jeff for responding.
>
> XFree86 -configure doesn't work for some reason.
>
> Here's what I think will be my last question.  I am at the stage where
> I am  supposed to set up an X server by making a symbolic link to
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>
> In *Linux Unleashed* (Third ed. 1998) an X server is said to be a
> driver.  And  one example given of a driver that is a server is this
> one:  XF86_VGA16.   Another example is given in the book's
> illustration of how to set the server  up:
>
> ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVA  /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Looks like you got an old book. These are directions for version 3.x of
XFree86. You are running XFree86 4.x, which loads its drivers as shared
libraries. You select that driver in your XF86Config-4 file.

> But I can't find any drivers in /usr/X11R6/bin, and I can't find any
> drivers  anywhere else.  So I decided to see how SuSE does it.  Here's
> what SuSE does:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X -> /var/X11R6/bin/X
>
> /var/X11R6/bin/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
>
> But I can't find Xorg in Debian.  And "Xorg" certainly does not look
> like the  type of driver filed referred to in Linux Unleashed.
>
> So I'm thinking of getting some Debian CD's somewhere and giving this
> net  install up, unless someone can tell me where I might find the X
> server on  this system.

You don't need to do any symlinking. You just need to configure your
XF86Config-4 file correctly.

--Ken Bloom