[vox-tech] XF86Config Question

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Jan 11 23:57:43 PST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> This Debian Net Install is requiring a lot of work.  I'm trying to set up X,
> and I keep reading warnings that one can burn out a monitor or video card if
> one screws up.  That's why I'm asking this question.
>
> I ran the xf86config program and was asked how much RAM my video card has.
> I've got onboard video, and I didn't know the answer.  I couldn't find it on
> the web, or in my motherboard manual.  So I picked 4096.
>
> I notice the following in my XFConfig file:
>
> "Section "Device"
> 	Identifier   "My Video Card"
>         Driver       "vga"
>           #unsupported card
>         #VideoRAM   4096
>         # Insert Clocks line here if appropriate
>
> So it looks to me like my 4096 selection is commented out, right?  That's fine
> with me because I don't know if it's right.
>
> I've got correct settings for the horizontal and vertical sync/refresh rates.
> And the "vga" driver looks like I don't have anything to worry about.
>
> So it looks to me like I can run X (assuming I can get it up) without blowing
> anything out.  Do you all agree?

The vga driver is extremely conservative, and highly unlikely to damage
anything.  In fact, it is so conservative, you may feel like you are
peering through a toilet paper tube at your screen.

Why don't you mount the partition the SuSE installation is on and take a
look through the XF86Config file on that setup for clues to how to
configure it here?

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing